Centre or Center?

Although Canadian English sounds very much like American English, and Canadians use basically the same vocabulary Americans do, Canada's English is officially British. This difference can be seen in words ending in RE like centre, theatre, metre, which in American English are spelled center, theater, meter or in words ending in OUR like colour, neighbour, favour which in American English are spelled color, neighbor, favor. These differences in spelling do not change the pronunciation of the words.


You will also see many Canadians spelling words like Americans, many times unaware that the official form is different. In Vancouver, British Columbia, for instance, there is a "Canadian English CENTER," which has no connection to our method or mission and, by the way, was founded after ours. Whichever way you write in Canada, it works, but remember: the British form is official.

English Courses - News Groups